About University Ambassadors
University Ambassadors--Ohio State tour guides--are passionate about Ohio State, articulate, fun and dedicated to recruiting the best and brightest
Buckeyes. We typically like to see students who have had some experiences on and off campus so that they can share their stories with prospective
students and their families.
- Lead campus tours for prospective high school students and their families, as well as for other constituencies
- Lead campus tours for school group field trips community organizations, and early college outreach groups
- Represent the university in other capacities, such as escorting dignitaries and serving on student panels
- Assist with administrative work within Undergraduate Admissions
University Ambassadors are different from University Hosts or college-based Ambassador programs.
- University Ambassadors primarily give full campus tours to prospective students and guests. They are paid student employees of Undergraduate Admissions.
- University Hosts primarily mingle with and welcome prospective students and guests to Ohio State. They interact with families at the start of their admissions visit. They are a volunteer program within Undergraduate Admissions.
- College-based Ambassador programs vary in responsibilities. A college may need student ambassadors to serve as hosts, student panelists, desk attendants, building/lab tour guides or other assorted roles within the college.
A student can be a University Ambassador as well as a University Host or college-based Ambassador if they are selected for the applicable programs.
Aside from the lifelong skill of walking backwards, there are countless opportunities to develop as a leader and a professional through the Ambassador program.
- Have fun!
- Network with other student leaders
- Develop lifelong friendships with other Buckeyes
- Work with different populations and diverse individuals
- Improvise and think on your feet
- Practice thinking critically and strategically
- Gain more information about the opportunities that Ohio State has to offer
- Share your passion for Ohio State with others
- Improve public speaking skills
- Share your positive personal experiences to leave an impact on future students
- Practice project management
- Build logistics skills
- Travel to other colleges and universities to share tour perspectives in a peer-to-peer format
- Get a glimpse into an important aspect of the Higher Education/Student Affairs field
Applying to be an Ambassador
The application for summer and fall 2015 is closed. Please check back in the fall for information about hiring for 2016.